donderdag 31 januari 2013

Go crazy!



 Where is the child in you?

For years I have been buying my bread at the bakery around the corner and every saturday there are two girls behind the counter. They have been helping there from when they were twelve years old. They had learned exactly what to say to the customers. Both with the same tone as their mother; "Ma'am, how may I help you?" every time the same fixed tune. When I asked for something else than usual they gave me a vague smile and continued in their role. "Anything else, ma'am?" Today they are both in their twenties and it's still the same phrases. During the Dutch 'Sinterklaas' celebrations they were both dressed up as Black Pete. A revolution! I greeted them enthusiastically and complimented them with their beautiful suits. But again they gave me that vague smile back and replied: "How can I help you?"

At the university I give a training 'Presentation Skills' to students. In general these are all fine young women and men. They always do as I say, are tidy and decently dressed and have no piercings or visible tattoos. Last year an idea got to me and I gave the group an assignment for the next week to do something crazy. To do something they had never done before. "What do you mean?" They thought it was just a weird task. "Why would we do that?" "Think of something funny," I replied, "even step out of yourself and your daily activities. Expand your yourself! Who knows what more there is inside you that you might experience when you do something you normally wouldn't do."
I was very curious and honestly I have to admit that I had little confidence on if they would actually do it.

That following week I entered the university and in the hallway one of my students stood there giving away chocolate eggs to other students who came passing by. "Is this what you meant?" he asked when he saw me. I'm afraid I then, on the spot, began to kiss him out of enthusiasm and of course I took an egg. "Yeah, that is exactly what I meant!" I answered. So it turned out all of the students had done something out of the ordinary. A girl had gone back to the company where earlier she had been working as an intern. There she gave feedback about abuse which she had not dared speak about before. Another student had sold flowers in the subway. A young woman had confronted her aunt with something she was afraid to say until then and that turned out to be a very good conversation. It was so great to hear about all these stories and all of them  were very pleased with themselves. I was so proud of them.

Tip:
There are always more possibilities, new ideas and creations to think of. Who knows what interesting things we might discover? What kind of crazy things you have been up to lately?



Follow up blog: Pay it forward

Ramon Vermij thanks for helping with the translation!

Geen opmerkingen: